Monday, July 09, 2007

Going to the crossroads

I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.

Down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.

Asked the Lord above for mercy, "Save me if you please."


I went down to the crossroads, tried to flag a ride.

Down to the crossroads, tried to flag a ride.

Nobody seemed to know me, everybody passed me by.


(Robert Johnson 1911-1938 - Crossroads Blues)



If one could imagine what Robert Johnson was visualizing as he wrote the immortal "Crossroads Blues", it might be something like this. Then again, did he have to visualize it since legend has it that he truly went down to the crossroads and made a deal with the devil? Would the devil be a white man, taking his soul for unmatchable talent and 29 songs? Was "Hell Hound on My Trail" born of his own experiences?

I got to keep moving, I got to keep moving

Blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail

Mmm, blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail

And the day keeps on remindin' me, there's a hellhound on my trail

Hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail.

Legends are intoxicating. They draw you in and whisper of things unobserved. I am drawn in by the above painting. My good friend, Gil Franklin, painted this for me. He brought it to me tonight. Foreshadowing and beautiful, all at once.

Thank you my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home