Sunday, July 08, 2007

Family Ties and Maters


This past week we had visitors from Louisiana. My Aunt Mary Jo and her son, Reece. My Aunt Mary Jo is my most favorite aunt and Reece and I were born a month apart, so we grew up together. We were thrilled they came up to see mom. Mom's health is not so good and she was worried she would never see her sister again. I guess when you get older those things are things you think about.
They came up on Thursday and stayed until Saturday morning. We enjoyed the visit. I cooked everyone Chicken Fajitas on Thursday night and my dad came over to eat with us also. Jen stopped by but could not stay long as she was in a class on Thursday night. Growing up, folks always said I looked more like my Aunt Mary Jo than I did my mom. In fact, we were at the bank in Monroe, LA one time (having just returned from Thailand) and mom needed to cash a check. She was to tell the bank manager that Mary Jo was her sister but he said he already knew - he could look at me and tell we were related. (Try to cash a check now somewhere using that as an id!!) My mother used to bemoan my lack of her level of cleaning freakness. She would tell me that I was just like "Mary Jo" and she did not understand why I did not get that home ec gene from her. Funny thing, my daughter says that dad (her Papaw) got on to her the other day when she picked up something at his house. He saw the humongous mess in the back of her vehicle and told her "You are just like your Aunt Mary Jo!" Anyway, we reminisced and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Michael, Reece and I went to Parrot Beach for the blues jam Thursday night and Michael had to be designated driver. Since I have been "dieting" I really have not had much to drink - one shot of Tequila killed me. UGH UGH UGH. We had a good time anyway.
We snapped a few photos before they left on Saturday and we got this one of mom, me, Mary Jo and Reece. Do you think I look like my aunt? She is the one on the right. My mama is on the left. She is the short one.
I hope I can take mom home soon so she can visit some folks and places she would like to see. I have commented before but Louisiana does not feel much like home anymore, particularly since my Uncle Jake died 3 years ago. I have not gone back since. I guess I should.
On Saturday we went to Lisa and Paul's annual pool party!! We did not swim, since we had to be at a benefit a bit later. We visited with Michael's mom and step dad and other family and friends. It was hot but I never broke a sweat!! (An accomplishment outside in Arkansas in July!!). Michael's cousin, Jim, brought us some home grown tomatoes (Maters, baby!) Oh my!! They are so yummy. I was so thrilled he brought us a flat
- that is the pic on the right. Tomatoes from the store just suck anymore (hmm that rhymes, could be the start of a great song) and these were grown up the road in White County. This morning I made egg white omelettes and sliced tomatoes for breakfast. They were delish!! Is that a southern thing? Sliced tomatoes at breakfast? We used to eat them at most meals we had, sliced tomatoes were a side - morning, noon and night!! They tasted so good. They had that slight acidic bite when you bit into them. Mmmmm mmmm good. They would be awesome in a BLT, but that is not on the diet. I may have to break diet rules and have one. It would be such a shame to have some bona fide tomatoes and not have a BLT!! Mayo only please, no Miracle Whip!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home