Sunday, June 03, 2007

Direct Buy

So Michael and I did the Direct Buy tour out of curiosity. Having read up on it on line we knew what to expect. It was interesting but we did not buy into it.

They want you to pay $4,679 (or some figure very close to that) for a 3 year membership and they showed you how you could save thousands of dollars on purchases. They also tell you that if you do not join that day you can never come back. (Like I really believe if I showed up today with that money they would turn me away).

The guy said they had 3,000 members which made me wonder how they stay in business if the only money they make off you, as they claim, is the member ship money. You do the math. Anyway, we would say that if you were about to build a home, remodel a home or make a substantial amount of purchases of big ticket items, it might be worth it to join but if you have furniture, appliances, etc.. and do not really see a major, major purchase coming up - you might not recoup your fees.

Still there were lots of folks in there. Interesting. We noted that all the price comparisons were with ads but nothing on the internet. I believe they negotiate a lower price with manufacturers that still includes some profit for them (How else would they stay in business?).

Regardless, Michael and I left there feeling fine at not having joined even if it means we can never, ever set foot in that place again.

1 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you are talking about home designing here. Direct Buy is a company which provides services in this area. Direct Buy is a members-only showroom and home design company. I did not happento have any misunderstandings with the company. However, on www.pissedconsumer.com I did find that customers are not happy with the products and services. Browse the web page, you may find something for yourself up there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home