Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wanderlust

wanderlust n 1: very strong or irresistible impulse to travel

Hmm, that would be me. I have it. Always have, probably always will. Maybe it stems from my upbringing, we did move every 3 years give or take a few months. Living here in Arkansas for 30 years now (WOW!) breaks all records for me. Born in Maryland, moved to Alaska, Louisiana, Thailand, Louisiana, Colorado, Arkansas (and that annoying duel Memphis, TN thing). Maybe all that moving around just made me used to going places. In Thailand, we moved 11 times in 3 years!!

So it is no wonder that I am always dreaming of places to visit. I have a copius list. It grows unceasingly. My top choices ever changing. The list contains many of the usual suspects and probably some that might not be on anyone else's list. I want to go back to Thailand. I want to go to (in no particular order) China, Singapore, Vietnam, Greece, Turkey, Seychelles, Malta, Italy, Spain, Ibiza, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Peru, Bolivia, Fiji, Saipan, New Guinea, Nova Scotia, all the Islands of the Caribbean, Tasmania, Galapagos Islands, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Poland, Bora- Bora, Easter Island. You get the picture - my list is L - O - N - G (kind of like a belt I once saw being purchased - you had to be there!)

So imagine my delight when my friend, Steve, offers me a trip to Greece! I was very excited to hear about this trip. Nov 30 - Dec 8 in Athens, staying in an apartment in an area right outside of Athens and having a rental car for less than $1,000 (air fare included). I am planning, wheels are churning and my mind is afire with possibilities. Art journal, Travel Journal, photography, coffee, greek salads, ouzo, oh my it makes my heart beat faster. I love this site for the best of Greece. Michael and I are so seriously into this gig we are trying to figure it out. The days off for me would not be a bid deal 0 I have the hours I can fly to DC on Thursday morning and you fly on to Munich - to Athens. How fabulous to be in a fabulous apartment near Athens and day trips to other things ---island hopping brings one to mine, This helpful chap has compiled the best and I admit I am impressed. We can tour on foot or in car, We can ferry out to the islands for a day trip or two. We can eat fresh seaf0od and drink wonderul wines and ouzo.... we can have fun with fun loving people. Who would not want to go. My mom called it the trip of a lifetime. I call it a journaling experience.

We are booked for Mexico Feb 2 - Feb 9 at our lovely little boutique place at El Placer. ^ cabanas is all she holds. We have four of them. Our secret mexican get away near Chetumal and Belize - our own wonderful resport right on the beach and with all the patiences for all of us. We love it. Mayan Beach Garden. We are going and taking with us; Bill * Shirley, Danny & T, Steve & David with Michael and I - that makes 8. * is great!
We are so excited about the trip and adventures we are going to take. Ruins, swimmin in cenotes, photographs of drinking donkeys and more. Relaxation and restoration - no cell phones, no computer, no worries - it is wondermus!!

A couple of invites that are on the not likely list right now are Bonaire " We are planning to go sometime between mid-March and mid-June 2008. We're staying at Buddy Dive resort. We can stay a week for the package or purchase a few more days' worth of vacation." A fun trip this would be. I am not dive certified yet but am sure I could find something to do. Also real close to our return from Mexico date. The second invite Pompeii" we're going to see Pompeii and Herculaneum and spend a week or so in that part of Italy in 2008. Anyone wanting to accompany us will be welcome. I have a book about the area and am going to plan after I know more." Another fun trip for sure. We will just have to see when in 2008 this is going to happen. If it happened at Christmas, that might be cool....

So we are in for Mexico, 85% in for Greece and wondering where else we can wander. We do have some state side wanderings.... the lake, Petit Jean, AR Blue & Heritage, the Juke Joint Trip in late October that has picked up a few more attendees. We will be heading to Merigold, Mississippi. I love that friends have wanderlust like I do. Makes for interesting talk most days.

Other stateside wanderlusts I have: Colorado (really miss my best friend). I do not hear from her much anymore although her son keeps in touch pretty regularly. I was to go to California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, North and South Dakota, New Mexico, Joe's lake house in Marble Falls, TX and Austin, TX. I want to go down to Lafayette or Lake Charles area to have a swingin good party at one of the zydeco clubs and eat some of that good boudain.... I want to go Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina (maybe see some relatives - eat some goat hash (maybe) at least eat some good bbq! I want to go to Mississippi and get me some good boiled peanuts. I really think I can design cool mini vacations for folks....

So my dilemna - Greece or no Greece -- I really cannot think of one reason I should not be doing this in Greece in November and December of 2007. Besides, my passport needs a new stamp in it for this year.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

You must go to Greece!! Gosh that would be so awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home