Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Tribute to a Local Hero


On Monday, August 27, 2007 at 6pm, Billy Watkins died. He was an awesome person.
I met Billy through the Arkansas Interfaith Committee on Worker's Justice and the Central Arkansas Labor Council. I have known Billy since 1999.
Billy was a wonderful person. He was always smiling and had a kind word for everyone. I have never attended a labor related event that I did not see Billy there. He drove this pickup truck that was full of labor stickers. He was the most genuine person you might ever meet.

I knew he was in the hospital and was not doing well. I emailed Melba about visiting him and she warned me yesterday afternoon that I needed to get up there fast because he was not doing well. I was unable to go because I had a meeting in Pine Bluff and did not return home until after 9pm last night. He died while I was in Pine Bluff. I regret I did not get to visit but I do have great memories of this remarkable man.
Melba sent out an e mail that contained a heartfelt tribute that I know is felt by more than just her. I think her words are beautiful:
There is a big hole in the heart of the Labor Movement tonight. Billy was an inspiration to all of us. He was a good man; a kind man; a man that would do anything to help anybody in need. The angels are rejoicing because they won't have to work so hard now.... Billy is there... and I guarantee that he will be the hardest working angel in heaven. Because if there ever was an angel on earth, it was Billy. I, along with all his union family, will cherish the memories of our good times with him. When there were meetings, Billy made sure the buildings were opened and he stayed late to make sure they were cleaned up and locked. He was the first to show up for a rally, picket or a meeting. He made sure we had prizes to give away at the picnic. He used his truck and his gas to put up political signs. Billy was the oldest delegate, who had served the longest on the United Way Community Services Committee. He was an officer in the A. Philip Randolph Institute and a member of the Arkansas Interfaith Committee for Worker Justice, receiving the 2005 Worker Justice Award. He was very active in the Democratic Party of Pulaski County and Arkansas; having been a delegate to national conventions. This is just a small part of what Billy did.
I will miss seeing him at events.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home