Sunday, August 27, 2006

Dateline--August 27 - Bismarck, ND



I am in Bismarck, ND this week. I arrived today, after flying to Minneapolis and then on to Bismarck. Bismarck is the capitol of North Dakota. 57,000 people live here. A small town really. Very clean and lots of open garages, kids riding around on bikes alone, etc. The capitol (on the left) is a couple of blocks from my hotel. I will be doing training there this week. The green area in front of the capitol was full of folks today, families just chilling out, young adults playing rugby, etc. Something you do not see at the Capitol in Little Rock.

Bismarck is the size of Jonesboro. Can you imagine Jonesboro as our capitol? Well there ya go. Not a whole lot here but what is here is kind of neat. It is cooler here and breezy, I suppose that is because we are in the "plains". I did a quick search and last year there was 1 murder. The year before that NONE. Jonesboro reported 3 on a site I googled real quick. Let's not even start comparing it with Little Rock.

Today I have been thinking a lot about my brother, Billy. He would be 39 now. He left us in 1987, much too young and much too soon. I still miss him very much. I often think of how he would be now. When we get together with friends, he invariably comes up. He is still so much apart of so many of us. Whenever I listen to Robert Cray, I think of him. He was such a gregarious guy. He never met a stranger, he had the keenest sense of humor, he was devilish and fun. He was also sensitive and inquisitive. He also befriended all sorts of people, sometimes to the chagrin of his very dear friends from grade school. I love him so much and miss him very much. He is the person who got me hooked on this album (it was an album back then) and it is still one of my favorites...


Go grab a loved one and hug them, tell them how much they mean to you. Tomorrow could be too late.

3 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Lana said...

Oh Deb. I lost my brother too. He was only 30 and it was too early as well. The music I listen to for memories of him are Elvis Costello (Because he loved him) and David Gray because it was what I was listening to ALL the time around the time of his death and it very much suits his life. My heart aches with you!!!! HUGS! But I'm glad your trip is going nicely!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger mbville said...

Deb, sounds like a semi-interesting, laid back place. Sorry you're feeling the loss of your brother so much right now... I just cannot imagine.

Was it scary flying? Were people nervous, because of the crash yesterday?

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I did not know about the crash until I got to Minneapolis and had a call from Michael. He knew I was not flying into or out of Lexington but wanted to check to be sure. I just put it out of my mind when I got on that plane to Bismarck. I did not hear anyone else saying anything about it and would assume a lot of folks did not even know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home