Friday, January 26, 2007

Oh my aching head, back and body

That darn Amy Garland. She is a bad influence. Everytime I hang out with her I end up on a dance floor until the wee hours of the morning. Egads!

Amy convinced me to come out to the Whitewater Tavern last night because it was Gooses last night as Proprietor. He is leasing it to a bunch of early 20 somethings.



When I got there the place was already packed (I arrived about 9:45pm having sat on the interstate near Brinkley because of an 18 wheeler being in an accident and on fire). I waved at Kelly Bass who was in the back and sat with Sherry (daytime bartender). Sherry said she and MaryAnn (evening bartender) were out - they were replaced with a youngun (I say age discrimination and Michael says I am too quick to judge that it could be a friend of the guys who are leasing it or a girlfriend - point taken). Anyway, some young heavy grunge rock band was playing and I was feeling my age, big time. The music did not move me. Not that they were not talented, I just do not dig that kind of music. Amy arrived (the rock star that she is) and had to meet and greet all of her admirers so I hung out at the bar for awhile. I decided that all I was going to get out of the deal was a headache so I paid for my one Newcastle and made my way to the back to tell Goose, Amy & Kelly goodbye.

This is where it all goes south. Amy tells me that the band is from Philadelphia (oh so that explains it I guess?) and that the local artists were about to play so I really needed to stick around. Kelly got me another beer - it was a cleverly designed ploy and they worked well as a tandem team. Patron shots were going and then we were dancing and before I know it is almost close to 1 a.m. and I am dancing to "Is Anybody Going to San Antone or Phoenix, Arizona.." (charley pride) ala Chris Denny. Surreal. The band from Philadelphia seemed a little taken aback that folks were rocking to some cheesy old country songs but I saw one of the kids dancing shortly after that. I mean come on, how can you sit still when someone plays that? :-) There was a disturbing moment during the night where Goose dropped his pants and was standing there in his underwear. Something I never would have thought in a million years is that I could report on Goose standing in the tavern in his tighty whiteys -an image forever etched into my brain -unforgivingly.

So, once again, I am out with Amy G and it is way late and I am on a dance floor. I see a disturbingly fun trend here. Regardless, she is still my favorite songbird of the south and I am doing a shameless plug for her now. Go get this cd - Amy Garland Band - Angora. It is still one of my most favorite cds and her version of "I'd Have to Be Crazy" is an all time favorite of mine. I love that Amy G - even if she keeps me out all night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home