Friday, October 13, 2006

Blues, The Final Installment

Busy week, so I was unable to complete my blues festival report. Saturday night was the final night. I, finally, made it over to the media tent to get a backstage media pass. That pass puts you halfway backstage and directly in front of the stage, making for some aweseom pics. Except for when you and various other folks trying to help you, mess up the settings on your camera and all your pictures suck!!

J. D. and I headed down to Cherry Street and Main Stage, leaving everyone at the camp site saying they would catch up later. We ran into Trainreck on Cherry Street. Awesome two piece blues band from Texas. I chatted with "Washboard" Washington a bit and he gave me their newest CD, I will have to play some of it on the show this week. We have caught them at The Press Box a couple of times. One night, it was pure juke jointish, we had our beers, sat at the domino table and played dominoes with Ben & Amy and listened to Trainreck live. It was so fun!

A friend of ours, Michael Burks was playing main stage at 7pm and receiving an award before his set. I wanted to be sure and get some pictures of it. I could not get Michael or any of the campsite folks on the phone so they could come get media passes so I had to foray backstage without them (much to their chagrin later). JD got me an artist pass from Michael, which meant full acess to the backstage area (and free beer). Bobbie was using a wheelchair and I talked her into sitting on stage while Michael performed (she would have gotten swamped in the crowd and she needed to be able to see her sweetie's set). So I stayed on stage with Bobbie and took pics from the side. I ran into Anson Funderburgh and was thrilled to see him there. Anson's band has played the festival for 20 years but Sam Myers died this year and they had decided not to come. I told Anson I was so glad to see him and could not believe that they would not be there this year. He told me he had not planned to, with Sam passing, but that he had never missed it and decided someone would let him play, hopefully Michael (which he did, of course).

For some reason, I cannot get the remaining pics to upload - so just know that the festival was great! We had an amazing time and the weather was perfect. Look forward to next year's festival!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home