Sunday, December 23, 2007

Equality

There will never be equality between men and women, never. In a world where being a man has the most distinct advantage, overall, they are not likely to give it up.
Women still earn less than men, 76 cents on the dollar. Women are still primary caregivers in families (including parents and children). Women bear children, raise them, often work outside the home, and then, come home to cook, clean, take care of general day to day home activities.
Do not be deceived by the cliche comments such as; women get their drinks bought for them, women do not do the yard work, women get dinner paid for, women always know when they are going to have sex, etc... yada, yada, yada. I can buy my own damn drinks and dinner buddy. I can also mow a yard, if need be - three times a year because that is about what happens around here. Our yard is mostly rock. I can also hire someone else to do it.
When the home duties are equally divided and men quit sitting on their asses talking about the trash they took out or the one load of laundry they did (their clothes) and, truly, do an equal amount of work in the home AND women earn dollar for dollar what men earn.... we will be equal. For now, it is all a piece of crock that women are equal... If women started billing men for their actual work time there might be a different story emerging. What do you think a general laborer might earn per hour? Let's lowball this figure at $10 an hour. Just for Christmas prep alone (cleaning, shopping for all the meals and everyone - including HIS family, wrapping each and every gift, cooking, cleaning again and cleaning after him each time he eats or cooks something for himself, picking up his friend's gift, etc...) I figure that was about 100 hours of time so far... that makes it $1,000.00!! Just for Christmas prep alone.... wow, I could quit my real job if I started charging at home.
What do I want for Christmas? Peace, a clean house that I did not have to clean, a stocked refrigerator that I did not have to stock and a meal that I did not have to cook. Oh and no shoes on my living room floor....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home