Saturday, February 03, 2007

Religious Bullying, Christian Aggression.. or rather Oppression lives!!

Robert Randolph and the Family Band played a gig in Searcy, AR the other night. Searcy, AR - home of Harding University. Harding University - the Church of Christ college that runs that town with bullying, intimidation and threats. Their antics are widely known and talked about (in hushed tones around town).

Robert Randolph is a master of the pedal steel guitar. In fact, he honed his skills in the House of God Church, Keith Dominion, ( Pentecostal ). The House of God Church is known for its music called, Sacred Steel, something I am thrilled to have introduced to many folks here in Arkansas via my radio show. I know I got Larry hooked the very first time he heard it. Anyway, it is how I think church music should be - uplifting, raucous, fun and lively. That is a church I would dig being at on a Sunday morning...better than what I used to listen on Sunday morning.. "Just As I am....as we waited on poor lost souls to wander down to the front of the church.." (ah I digress yet again).
Anyway, they play at Harding U (the religious nazis of the mid-south) and *GASP* look what happens. I particularly like the headline...mayhem!! Mayhem? Mayhem? Oh that is too freaking funny. I feel a flashback coming on...yep there it is..it's Kevin Bacon ??? What? Oh yeah wait, Footloose!!

Hey, Robert Randolph - please believe me that the rest of Arkanas ain't that way.... come on back to Little Rock where you know you can play!!

UPDATE: I just found out from Larry that RR will be in Fayetteville on the 27th - the same night I will be there doing training!! WOO HOOO... and Larry referenced the youtube post of it but there is a better youtube on it...so you can go see it and read the comments. By the way, Larry was there, of course... There there is the blog that has some pretty funny comments from HU students..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home