Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sobering, yet uplifting


The news of the marches this weekend in the nation's capital (and across the country) made me focus a little more on Iraq. I have to admit that I have been against the whole thing from day one. Not one to shy away from being vocal about things, I posted regularly on the Deblog (now lost in the internet highway until a server can be located).

I have always maintained that this administration lied to us, manipulated the media (and did it very well) and manipulated the oh-so-gullible American public into believing that somehow, someway Sadaam Hussein was the root of all of our problems, including 9/11. We have since learned (or rather those of us who care to learn - many are blissfully ignorant) that it has been a lie. I am heartened by Bush's low popularity rating. I am heartened that the Dems took control again. I am heartened because I want so desperately to believe that Americans are waking up and saying "hey, we are not buying this bullshit anymore."

Before I get into a huge rant, which I am so prone to do, let me just say that I read this article today. One thing really struck me and it was this passage :
<Many of the marchers said they came because of personal reasons. Juan Torres of Chicago wore a t-shirt memorializing his son, an Army soldier who died in Afghanistan in 2004. Torres, an immigrant from Argentina, has marched in numerous anti-war protests. He says the war has destroyed his life and family. "My life is destroyed. My family is destroyed. The president, they don't care about my family. They don't care about me, they don't care about nobody. Also, the government, when I receive my son's medal, I receive by mail. They don't respect me.">
Let that sink in a bit. His son gave his life for this monstrosity of a "war" and they mailed a medal to his home. They could not send one soldier out there to deliver it with some words of comfort and thanks?

Hurrah for the marchers and hisses (yet again) to this administration. I hear the cries of impeachment and they are long overdue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home