Monday, January 21, 2008

A Holiday and a Movie

Today is the federal holiday in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King so that means I have the day off.
I overslept, meaning I slept far longer than I intended (noon!!) and when I realized it was noon, jumped up to get moving. I washed clothes, picked up the house, showered and then sat down with a cup o' joe to see what was on tv. I ran across "A Patch of Blue". Oh my, this movie sucks me in each time. What a great movie. What furor it incited, so much so that the kissing scenes had to be deleted when it was shown in the South.
For the uninformed, A Patch of Blue is the 1965 Academy Award winning film about a relationship between a black man (Sidney Poitier) and a young blind white girl (Elizabeth Hartman). The movie is touching and shows that love is "color blind". The sad thing is that, even today, inter racial couples get the crap. It makes my blood boil when folks comment about a mixed couple. So 43 years after this film explores this type of relationship, the same small minded people exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home